Here we go.

07 February 2009

One rant, please.

Good morning!

You know, as time passes, my dislike of the GOP becomes more refined.  When I was an inexperienced youngster, I didn't like them because I was a "punker".  To me, they represented big business, anti-environment, old white guys, religion (using it as a divisive tool), anti-woman views, stuffiness, and even sometimes racism, amongst other things; our points of view clashed.  Well, it still holds true today.  I don't count myself a punker anymore, but I have held on to the beliefs that I've had from the start.  I'm older now, have mulled things over.  I still think the GOP is so out of touch, so old-fashioned & offensive.  They are really going to have to redefine themselves (only after some deep  soul searching) if they want to survive modern politics.  The make up of this country, the people, it's changing.  Yes, you too can have a mixed-race child in your family!  It can happen to anyone --ooooooooooooooo!  It's not meant to be a scary thing, it's great.  New people, new challenges.  The Republican Party will need to adapt to find a bigger base of supporters. 

But, it's not to say that I actually enjoy the Democratic Party.  Good grief!  As a teen, I thought the the Dems were maybe a lesser evil or indistinguishable from their counterpart.  Today, I find them to be total weenies, absolutely spineless.  These folks will compromise themselves to failure.  Arkansas Dems are racist, I've come to learn.  We're a Democratic state, but we're the reddest state of the nation.  Go figure!  Of course, I do like some people affiliated to this party, but they make me feel like a total fool when they do things like not pay their taxes.  That is just so damn stupid.  My brain tries really hard to accept this party into it's folds, but it's hard.  I guess of the two main parties, this one is the lesser of two evils, but barely.  

All of this said, I love Barack Obama.  He has said things out loud that have floored me.  Things that I've said myself, things that I believe.  No other politician has touched so close to my own beliefs ever.  He maintains a humanness about him, too.  I think people, myself included, will need to be reminded that he's not perfect.  I still can't get over that he's the president!  I still can't get over that there are people still scared of him!  It's humorous to me to hear people attempt to explain why they are scared of President Obama when it's kind of obvious why they are.  Just shush!  It's even more humorous (or sad, really) when these scared folks have probably not heard one speech, read one book, know one true fact about Barack.  They've probably gleaned all of their info from exactly 100 bad emails forwarded a billion times over.  

Oh, politics.  Things would be a lot better if there were more Golden Rulers.  

I would like to see the stimulus bill passed.

What today has in store for us:  I've already washed all dishes, cleaned the stove and mopped the kitchen.  We're on our third load of laundry.  I'm making homemade crackers to take over to the Deeters.  I figure crackers & cheese will go well with libations.  We're about to have lunch with the Rice family.  Haven't visited with them in ages.  I'm afraid baby Olivia will now be a full grown child -- craziness!  I'm hoping the night ends at Collin's house.  Always a fun time.  Can't stay up too late, though.  We've got meditation at the temple early tomorrow.

3 comments:

Alannah said...

you stole the thoughts right outta my head!!

AMD & KMHD said...

You know, I'm always afraid to compose posts like this because I feel that I may come off as really thoughtless. Also, it's hard to write in a few paragraphs what's going on here (points to head) and here (points to heart). Tina Fey says it best (and in a few short words) "People can be better than that."

I nervously laugh and/or cry because it's true.

Come ON, America! Be better than that!

Alannah said...

Not thoughtless at all! I thought it was concise, clear, and very well-expressed (is that a real term?).

I think all the political commentary doesn't help one bit. It just muddies the issues and interferes with people using their own assessment tools to form opinions. Maybe I'm just cranky because it seems that MSNBC is always on at our house.

Blog Archive